Declaration: Coalition for the Future of Education
This letter is a declaration addressed to Dr. Cardona and Members of the Biden Transition Team from the Coalition for the Future of Education, proposing A Simplified Path Forward.
Background: In late 2020, the Center for Educational Improvement (CEI), as part of its own internal visioning process, realized the importance of a cohesive movement to further five best practices for schools during this pivotal time in the U.S.:
1) Integrating up-to-date research and information on neuroscience and neuroplasticity into teacher preparation and administration preparation programs.
2) Increasing the efficacy of social emotional learning by supporting the use of “coherent” programs to alleviate trauma and improve SEL skills.
3) Supporting visioning for the future of education, rather than the protocol of simply planning and implementing programs for 2021.
4) Conducting Youth Listening Tours and building youth leadership.
5) Advancing the use of innovations, including technological innovations, in schools.
From the Center’s initial work, they set about listening to adults and youth and developed the Coalition for the Future of Education (CFE), currently a 28-member Coordinating Committee composed of seasoned educators, aspiring leaders, and youth from across the U.S. Directed by Dr. Melissa Patschke, a retired principal in PA, the Coalition is actively engaged in a variety of actions as they continue to gain input.
Read about the Coalition at CEI’s website. The coalistic is inviting HER readers to sign onto a letter to the Biden Administration and Secretary of Education Cardona and to watch for upcoming announcements and ways in which educators can further support CEI’s vision for a holistic, student-centered approach to education.